If you’re undergoing a renovation that involves kitchen remodeling in Lexington and Columbia, SC, you’re probably looking at updating your countertop along with your cupboards and appliances. Granite countertops have become extremely popular over the last decade or so, and for good reason. They offer many benefits over traditional countertops.
What is Granite?
Granite is a stone that has been quarried from the earth, much like marble and limestone. Because it’s a natural substance, no two granite countertops are alike. Colors, hues, and other subtleties will add a unique look to your kitchen. Granite comes in honed and polished states. Honed has a satin or matte finish while polished granite has a reflective polish and shows more of the natural etchings. The biggest difference between the two is aesthetics. Both types offer the same durability and strength.
Most consultants in interior design in Lexington and Columbia, SC and other areas highly recommend granite counters over other materials for many reasons.
Here are the top 5 benefits of a granite countertop:
- It does not scratch or damage easily. Granite is a solid, durable and strong stone that can handle a lot of wear and tear.
- It’s largely stain resistant. Once your granite countertop is sealed, it is very stain resistant. It requires very little maintenance other than needing to be sealed again every 6 months or so. Just the same, when spills occur, it’s always a good idea clean them up as quickly as possible.
- Granite is nonporous and therefore sanitary. With traditional countertops, you need to use strong, harsh chemicals to wipe up food spills and stains. Even still, these can seep into your countertop creating a potential health hazard to you and your family. A sealed granite countertop is nonporous, meaning food spills and bacteria won’t seep into the counter.
- Each granite counter is unique. No two countertops are the same, even if bought at the same location. There are several other materials within granite, and they serve to add depth and character to the stone. The color of your countertop will never fade or become dull, even with exposure to the sun.
- It adds value to your home. Whether you’re planning to sell your home next year or 5 years from now, your home will be worth more if your kitchen has granite countertops. They can add a whole new dimension to any kitchen and will fit with almost any décor.
Caring for your Granite Counter: an Easy Task
Your kitchen remodeling in Lexington and Columbia, SC is simply not complete without installing a granite countertop. Once it’s in place, you’ll need to know how to take care of it so you can extend its life as long as possible. Here are some tips:
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or gritty cleaners. Granite cleaners are sold in most grocery and hardware stores and is safe to use for cleaning.
- Do not place hot items directly on the granite countertop, as this can cause damage.
- Do not stand or kneel on the countertops as they could crack.
- Avoid hitting the counter with heavy pots or pans, as this could cause the surface to chip.
Specialists in home decoration in Lexington and Columbia, SC can help you transform your kitchen from ho-hum to thrilling. Since much of our time is spent in the kitchen, isn’t it logical that it should be the kitchen of our dreams?